SOUTH SALEM, N.Y. -- The quick work of a homeowner and some contractors prevented what could have been a serious fire at a Harbor Place home on Friday, according to fire officials.
Volunteers from the South Salem Fire Department were called to the house about 2 p.m. and arrived to find the homeowner and the contractors outside saying that there had been a fire in the rear, exterior section of the house, but that they had quickly extinguished it, officials said.
Firefighters took precautionary measures before removing the siding of the home in the affected area and confirming the blaze had been knocked down, officials said. The home was then ventilated.
Fire officials said the fire is believed to have been started by a low voltage wire from the alarm system.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.