WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. - Power surges earlier this week led to simultaneous fires in a pair of houses on a Lewisboro road.
At approximately 5:30 p.m. on Monday afternoon, firefighters from South Salem, Croton Falls and Bedford Hills were dispatched to Powder Hill Road, where a fire had been reported after a homeowner attempted to start a generator.
According to South Salem Fire Chief Avery Scott, once the generator was started, the homeowner reported that there was smoke in the garage and in the house, and they believed that there was a fire in the wall.
First responders at the scene stated that there was an electrical and wood burning odor in the garage, and that the fire had spread into the house. While making their initial investigation at the first home, South Salem firefighters were told by a nearby neighbor that there was a second fire in their home, which was contained to a power strip that ignited.
Following the investigation, it was discovered that two breakers and two electrical outlets had caught fire in the original house. Both houses were checked for any other incidents, and firefighters proceeded to check with neighbors to ensure no one else had experienced any electrical problems.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.