CROSS RIVER, N.Y. -- John Jay High School finished second overall at a recent Science Olympiad and will advance to a state competition, the Katonah-Lewisboro School District announced.
Two teams from John Jay contributed to the overall finish at the olympiad, the district notes, which was held on Saturday, Feb. 11 at Byram Hills High School.
Twenty-seven high schools competed at the olympiad, the district noted. The state competition is scheduled for March 10 to 11 at LeMoyne College in Syracuse.
The district noted that John Jay will be one of six high schools from the Lower Hudson Valley that will compete in the next round; the others are Fox Lane, Byram Hills, Tappan Zee, Ardsley and Scarsdale, which came in first overall at the recent event.
The students were coached by a large group of adults. The district said that the coaches are teachers Linda Burke; Emilia Camporese; Steven Zoeller; Amy Shimberg; Matthew Funnell; Micki Green; Ann Marie Lipinsky; Caroline Weldon; Jennifer McLean; Anna Treiller; and parent Victor Aoki.
Below is a copy of the district's list of the team winners. Bullet points and italics have been added for visual clarity:
- 2nd place in Forensics: Zoe Shaw and Athena Ohnemus
- 2nd place in Herpetology: Serena Chen and Ellie Randles
- 2nd place in Hydrogeology: Akshay Amin and Justin Chang
- 2nd place in Towers: Dee Ann Guo and Zoe Shaw
- 3rd place in Dynamic Planet: Katie Ricca
- 3rd place in Electric Vehicle: Samuel Chen and Dee Ann Guo
- 3rd place in Helicopters: David Sorkin and Matthew Sorkin
- 3rd place in Wind Power: Athena Ohnemus and Dee Ann Guo
- 4th place in Astronomy: Nick Aoki and Dee Ann Guo
- 5th place in Dynamic Planet: Evelyn Mullaney and Elyse Sherr
- 6th place in Fermi Questions: James Lucassen and Jordan Schwartz
- 7th place in Invasive Species: Elyse Sherr and Amanda Huang
- 7th place in Write It Do It: Amanda Huang and Angela Huang
- 8th place in Helicopters: Dee Ann Guo and Amanda Huang
- 8th place in Material Sciences: James Lucassen and Jordan Schwartz
- 8th place in Rocks and Minerals: Evelyn Mullaney and Angela Huang
- 9th place in Herpetology: Molly Siegel and Jordan Sandell
- 10th place in Chemistry Lab: Nick Aoki and Zoe Shaw
- 10th place in Hovercraft: James Lucassen and Jordan Schwartz