BEDFORD, N.Y. -- Voters will be selecting candidates for various judicial, county and local offices in the upcoming general election on Tuesday, Nov. 5 -- but they will also vote on six proposed New York State Constitutional Amendments on the ballot this year.
State Senator George Latimer said “ballot referendums like these are democracy in action. People voting directly on issues that will impact their lives in various ways.”
Latimer has been briefing local groups on the substance and importance of these ballot measures, most recently speaking to the League of Women Voters of Bedford, Lewisboro and North Salem.
“There are going to be efforts to persuade voters in one direction or another regarding these issues and as with any campaign, I urge voters to do some fact-finding of their own,” Latimer said. “To aid that effort, my office has produced and will be distributing literature with information regarding all six proposals.”
Here is the list of the six proposals on the ballot this year:
- To amend the Constitution to allow the Legislature to authorize up to seven casinos in New York.
- To entitle a veteran who has received civil service credit for a civil service appointment or promotion and subsequently is certified as disabled to additional civil service credit at a subsequent appointment or promotion.
- To extend the authority of local governments to exclude from their constitutional debt limits indebtedness contracted for the construction or reconstruction of sewage facilities for 10 years.
- To authorize the Legislature to settle longstanding disputes between the State and private entities over ownership of certain parcels of land in Hamilton County. The State will receive other land in return.
- To authorize the Legislature to convey forest preserve land in Essex County to a private company that plans on expanding an existing mine that adjoins the forest preserve land. The State will receive other land in return.
- Permits State Judges to serve until age 80 depending on the competency and needs of the Court System.