WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Westchester County Police arrested a Yonkers man on a DWI charge Tuesday morning after preventing him from driving the wrong way on the Saw Mill River Parkway, according to a release.
Kenneth Breil, 42, was charged with a felony count of driving while intoxicated due to a previous DWI conviction. He was also issued several summonses.
The incident began shortly after 6 a.m. when Officer Joseph Kraus reportedly observed a man fast asleep at the wheel of a Chevy Tahoe facing east on Executive Boulevard adjacent to the Saw Mill River Parkway.
The officer knocked on the car’s windows and reportedly shouted at the driver but was initially unable to awaken him. The vehicle’s doors were locked.
When the driver finally awakened, he allegedly ignored the officer’s command to shut the vehicle off and then drove away, going through a red light and crossing both the southbound and northbound lanes of the Saw Mill River Parkway. The vehicle then allegedly drove the wrong way on the exit ramp used by motorists exiting from the northbound lanes of travel.
Lt. Henry Cetina, who also responded to the scene, was reportedly able to use his patrol car to block the Tahoe from driving from the exit ramp into the lanes of oncoming traffic.
Breil was awaiting arraignment Tuesday morning in Yonkers City Court.
- 1 Bedford Man Charged With Having 130 Bags Of Heroin In Lewisboro
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory Issued For Parts Of Lower Hudson Valley
- 3 Man Is Shot By Fellow Hunter After Killing Deer Near Putnam County
- 4 Passenger Throws Heroin Out Of Car Window On Hutch, Say Police
- 5 Vincent dePaul Farrell, Jr., 68, Of South Salem, Founding Partner, SBSF