BEDFORD, N.Y.-- The Bedford Fire Department has contained a propane fire that occurred in a cottage at 1061 Old Post Road.
Fire officials believe the fire started after a propane tank was struck by lightning,though the determination has not been made the official cause. No one was hurt by the blaze, which began at 9:30 a.m., firefighters said.
Assistant Fire Chief Peter Lazaro said the department was responding to a call at Honey Hollow Road and was able to get the fire immediately.
Lazaro was glad fire officials were able to respond quickly, since the house is off a remote road that gets little pedestrian traffic. In dealing with propane, firefighters were very cautious, Lazaro said.
"We set up a defensive position and stayed far back," Lazaro said.
There were no hydrants nearby, so Lazaro said firefighters had to supply water via a long hose. Firefighters used 3,000 gallons of water to fight the fire.
Lazaro said the the department does not believe the fire was suspicious, with lightning being the likely cause.
"Sometimes lightning strikes and it causes power surges," Lazaro said. "Lighting and propane don't mix. We've had a lot of incidents."
Bedford Hills, South Salem, Katonah, Lewisboro, Pound Ridge and Banksville provided assistance.