Fire, Possibly From Generator, Damages Katonah Home

  • Comment
An electrical fire at a Katonah home Monday morning may have originated from a generator that experienced a power surge immediately after electricity was restored to the area that morning.
An electrical fire at a Katonah home Monday morning may have originated from a generator that experienced a power surge immediately after electricity was restored to the area that morning. Photo Credit: Liz Button
The Katonah, Mount Kisco, Bedford Hills and Goldens Bridge fire departments, as well as the Bedford police, responded to the scene Monday.
The Katonah, Mount Kisco, Bedford Hills and Goldens Bridge fire departments, as well as the Bedford police, responded to the scene Monday. Photo Credit: Liz Button

KATONAH, N.Y. -- The fire that severely damaged the residence at 4 Westview Drive Monday morning may have been the result of a generator that experienced a power surge immediately after electricity was restored to the street, according to fire officials.

Katonah Fire Department Chief James McHugh said firefighters originally thought it was a kitchen fire because the home owner had reported he smelled smoke in the kitchen.

When firefighters arrived at 9:30 a.m. and investigated further, they realized they would have to enter through the basement, the chief said, where the generator was hooked up to the house.

The basement was cluttered and needed to be cleared before the crews could completely knock down the electrical fire, according to the chief, a process that took about 30 minutes.

The home owner was not injured in the fire but was sent to hospital to be assessed for smoke inhalation, McHugh said. The basement was destroyed and the first floor sustained smoke damage, he said.

The Katonah Fire Department responded to the scene along with the Bedford Hills, Mount Kisco and Goldens Bridge fire departments and the Bedford police.

  • Comment

Comments