WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Ralph Waite, a White Plains native and actor best known for his work in the classic family drama, "The Waltons," died on Thursday at age 85, according to an obituary in The New York Times.
Waite portrayed John Walton, the patriarch of a family living in rural Virginia during the Great Depression and World War II. The show ran on CBS from 1972-1981.
Waite reportedly had been in good health and his death took his family and friends by surprise.
- 1 Teen Killed After Being Hit By Car Crossing Road To Danbury Pizza Place
- 2 State Police Charge Pair In Route 35 DWI Checkpoint
- 3 Drowning Victim, 22, ID'd; Stepson Of Schools Superintendent
- 4 Man In Custody After Assaulting Trooper, Leading To Two-State Chase
- 5 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money