BUCHANAN, N.Y. – An Indian Point reactor shut down automatically at 10:41 p.m. Monday because of an electrical grid disturbance during Hurricane Sandy, Entergy announced Tuesday morning.
Indian Point 3 remains offline. Indian Point 2 remains at full power.
“Nuclear plants are built to exceed the most severe natural forces historically reported for their geographic area,” John Herron, president and CEO of Entergy Nuclear, said in a statement. “And we saw evidence of that again with Hurricane Sandy.”
Although reactor 3 shut off, Entergy officials say the Indian Point plant safely weathered Hurricane Sandy.
- 1 Former Exec From PepsiCo In Purchase Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust
- 2 July 4 Terror Threat Is 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 3 Four From Westchester Indicted In Metro-North Cheating Ring
- 4 July 4 Terror Warning Security Measures In Westchester Detailed
- 5 Teenager Identified In Fatal Sprain Brook Crash