BUCHANAN, N.Y. – An Indian Point reactor shut down automatically at 10:41 p.m. Monday because of an electrical grid disturbance during Hurricane Sandy, Entergy announced Tuesday morning.
Indian Point 3 remains offline. Indian Point 2 remains at full power.
“Nuclear plants are built to exceed the most severe natural forces historically reported for their geographic area,” John Herron, president and CEO of Entergy Nuclear, said in a statement. “And we saw evidence of that again with Hurricane Sandy.”
Although reactor 3 shut off, Entergy officials say the Indian Point plant safely weathered Hurricane Sandy.
- 1 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Purchase New Bedford Home
- 2 Vacant Home In Goldens Bridge Destroyed By Fire
- 3 Lewisboro's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 4 Superstorm Sandy Was Not The 'Big One,' So Lewisboro Must Prepare
- 5 Police Issue Alert For Missing Teens Who Could Be In Westchester