BUCHANAN, N.Y. – An Indian Point reactor shut down automatically at 10:41 p.m. Monday because of an electrical grid disturbance during Hurricane Sandy, Entergy announced Tuesday morning.
Indian Point 3 remains offline. Indian Point 2 remains at full power.
“Nuclear plants are built to exceed the most severe natural forces historically reported for their geographic area,” John Herron, president and CEO of Entergy Nuclear, said in a statement. “And we saw evidence of that again with Hurricane Sandy.”
Although reactor 3 shut off, Entergy officials say the Indian Point plant safely weathered Hurricane Sandy.
- 1 South Salem Driver Strikes, Injures Two Runners In Danbury Intersection
- 2 Winter Storm Watch Issued For Lewisboro On Wednesday
- 3 Lewisboro Could See 4-8 Inches Of Snow Wednesday
- 4 Westchester's Highest Snowfall Totals Are Expected North Of I-287
- 5 John Jay Student Disciplined After Bomb Threat, Superintendent Says