BUCHANAN, N.Y. – An Indian Point reactor shut down automatically at 10:41 p.m. Monday because of an electrical grid disturbance during Hurricane Sandy, Entergy announced Tuesday morning.
Indian Point 3 remains offline. Indian Point 2 remains at full power.
“Nuclear plants are built to exceed the most severe natural forces historically reported for their geographic area,” John Herron, president and CEO of Entergy Nuclear, said in a statement. “And we saw evidence of that again with Hurricane Sandy.”
Although reactor 3 shut off, Entergy officials say the Indian Point plant safely weathered Hurricane Sandy.
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Lewisboro, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Lewisboro; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 3 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Lewisboro
- 4 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 5 Man Commits Suicide In Danbury Fair Mall Bathroom