SOUTH SALEM, N.Y. – It’s been taking place since 1960 and has become the backbone of the Lewisboro Library’s fund-raising efforts ever since.
The 52nd annual Lewisboro Library Fair will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 29 at Onatru Farm Park.
“It’s the library’s major fund-raiser,” said Cindy Rubino, library director. We are a non-profit association library – a 501(c)3 organization. We get 75 percent of our funding from the town but must raise the other 25 percent every year on our own. In order to maintain our current level of hours, programs, and services, we depend on the fair.”
The fair is an eclectic event that features games, live music, food, vendors, community booths, a book and toy sale, and an antique and collectibles sale known as Attic Treasures.
There will be a variety of food with items from the Lions Club, the Horse & Hound and Le Chateau. The food theme also includes the return of the fair’s Battle of the Bakers contest. This year, the contest is on a quest to find the best muffin and pie baker in the area. Cooks of all ages are welcome to submit entries for consideration. It must come from an original recipe. Bring the confections to the bake sale tent by noon for judging.
Another tradition of the fair is the car show, also known as Concours d’Elegance, which will be sponsored by Estate Motors. Automobiles ranging from show cars to "backyard classics" are invited to participate. Awards are given in each of eight categories courtesy of the sponsor. All attendees receive dash plates. To register, contact Dean Travalino at (914) 763-5393 or email@example.com. There is no entrance fee, but space is limited.
The Library Fair raffle is one of the event’s biggest moneymakers. This year, prizes include a 50-inch flat-panel LCD HDTV, the new Apple iPad, and dinner for two at Le Chateau.
Live music will feature local singer/songwriter Chip Andrus and John Jay teachers Jesse Weiss and Craig Jettelson's band Halfway to Sanity with guest student musicians.
Rubio also said volunteers still are needed.
“We depend on the help of many volunteers to run the fair and are seeking folks to help out before and on fair day,” she said. “Sign up at the library or online. There are many opportunities to volunteer for people of all ages. It’s a great way for teens to get community service hours and to meet people if you are new to the area.”
Vendor space still is available. Rubino said if you have small business, you can showcase it at the fair. Vendor space is $80. You can download and send in the vendor form. Community organizations also may reserves spaces for free by sending in the community form. For more information, contact Jean McDonough at firstname.lastname@example.org.